Not only is a place associated with many important historical events, Hai Van Pass also attracts visitors who are passionate about exploring and experiencing the beautiful scenery.
This is the only pass during traveling from Hue to Da Nang/Hoi An you should try once in life.
Hai Van Pass introduction
Located along the central coast of Vietnam, the Hai Van Pass lies on the Hai Van Mountainside and connects the 2 major destinations of Da Nang and Hue.
It is approximately a 21 kilometers long stretch on the National Highway 1. This twisting road on the pass has long been a challenge for drivers traveling between the cities of Hue and Da Nang.
From here, you get the chance to experience a series of different emotions with its angelic beauty.
Hai Van Pass is called “ocean cloud pass” in Vietnamese. The fact that the phenomenal mist rises from the South China Sea that vastly reduces visibility, creating a little danger.
However, at an altitude of 496 meters, the pass of these oceanic clouds gives us breathtaking landscapes of the stretched coastline of Vietnam.
It is not surprising that The Hai Van Pass is recognized internationally for its scenic beauty and is renowned as “deserted ribbon of perfection and one of the best coastal roads in the world”.
Therefore, if you are a big fan of adventure, do not miss useful information below:
Hai Van Pass Tourist Map
What to do in Hai Van Pass
Taking the challenge with Hai Van pass Top Gear
Top Gear is also an indispensable part to make Hai Van Pass a legendary experience. Today it’s known as one of the most beautiful drives in Vietnam and a popular choice for travellers experiencing the feeling of adventure.
It is also one of the most dangerous, however, often foggy or misty from the sea. Hence, you should be careful with your steering.
Discovering Hai Van Quan gate
This is the best top that most of people admire to pause for traveling Hai Van Pass. Hai Van Quan gate is called “Thien ha de nhat hung quan” under Minh Mang Emperor. Standing here, you will see the marvelous panorama of Da Nang city, Tien Sa port, Son Tra peninsula, and Lang Co beach Hue.
Therefore, there is no reason not to hunt a few mystery pictures here.
In addition, you also get the opportunity to touch the architectural works bearing the imprint of the Vietnam war still preserved at Hai Van Quan gate.
Furthermore, coming here is your great chance to take some photos. Such a perfect view!
Experiencing Hai Van tunnel, the longest tunnel in Vietnam
If you are afraid of heights, Hai Van tunnel is for you. People build it for travelling of most of the transportation, which is to keep safe on the pass route.
You can send your vehicle through the tunnel instead of going over the pass, the time will be faster.
Price is from 25,000 VND – 30,000 VND/vehicle and 8,000 VND/ person/ turn.
Admiring the beauty of Lang Co beach
It is about 14 kilometers from Hai Van Pass. Lang Co beach is spotlight for many sun-seekers to Central Vietnam these days.
Traveling here, you both see the spacious and picturesque beach and enjoy the fresh air recognized as one of the nicest beaches in Vietnam.
This special beach near Hue can not be missed when traveling across Hai Van Pass.
Eating seafood in Lang Co
Whether it is the beginning or the end of your journey, Lang Co fishing village is always the first choice for a pause to enjoy Hue special seafood.
And, because you can visit a lot mystery sites near Hai Van Pass later such as Lap An lagoon, Bach Ma National park,…
Below are several highly recommended restaurants near Hai Van Pass for you:
- Anh Phi restaurant:
It is around 14 km from Hai Van Pass, near Hai Van tunnel. The specialty dish at this restaurant is oyster. However, you can also taste grilled snails when stepping here. Price is from 100,000 VND.
- Be Noi Viet Long restaurant:
With a variety of dishes and a cool location, this restaurant attracts many tourists. In particular, the specialty dish here such as Grilled Oyster with onion fat, Crab with tamarind you should not miss. Price is around 100,000 VND – 300,000 VND.
- Be Den Lang Co restaurant:
There are many savory dishes served with rice and many famous seafood such as Steamed King Crab with tamarind, Grilled Lobster with citronella & garlic, Squid boil with ginger. Price is from 100,000 – 300,000 VND.
How to best experience Hai Van Pass
Below is several best transportation you can refer in 2 routes from Da Nang/Hoi An and Hue center to Hai Van Pass:
From Da Nang/Hoi An
Hai van Pass is about 30 kilometers to Da Nang and 60 kilometers from Hoi An.
- Renting a Motorbike: 100,000 VND – 150,000 VND/day/Motorbike at Truong Dat Motorbike Company. It just takes about 1 hour to come here. In all vehicles, motorbike are still a perfect option for your self-control to explore and experience if you are a big fan of challenge. However, be sure to have driving license for Vietnam and travel insurance. You can refer to World Nomad Insurance to obtain it if deciding traveling in Vietnam by motorbike. Also, often time police on Hai Van Pass might stop you for a check. This actually helps to remind all the tourists to slow down and be more careful when driving through this coastal road.
- Join a motorbike tour: If you worry about driving, motorbike tour can be best supporter for you. You can book at Le Family Riders. Together with the lead of a professional guide, knowing the exact route and preparing well equipped. You will not worry because of lost and your safe.
- Hoi An private car: Car trip is best way in a Hue to Hoi An tour through Hai Van Pass. Price ranges from $55 for a 4-seat car to $70 for a 16-seat van. Contact Hoi An Car Service by Bee Bee Travel to get best rate!
- Hai Van Pass Jeep tour: From 65$, you will get a full-day Jeep Tour of Marble Mountains, Son Tra Mountain & Hai Van Pass from Hoi An ancient town. You can refer at Viator Company.
From Hue Center
Hai van is about 80 kilometers from the North of Hue Imperial city.
- Hue to Hoi An Motorbike rental: 120,000 VND – 250,000 VND/day/Motorbike. You can rent at No 128, Nguyen Chi Thanh street, Hue city.
- Train to Hai Van pass: is an excellent way to view beautiful background from window. Also, on a SE2 train ride, Photographer Catherine Karnow took at Hai Van then became the feature image of Lonely Planet Vietnam in 1990.
Let’s take a look at some of amazing photos of Hai Van pass train by Kelvin Long, a Vietnamese photographer below:
To sum up, experience Hai Van Pass by train is the best comfortable way to refresh yourself, enjoy fresh air and contemplate colonial time of Vietnam.
Lang Co is about 20 kilometers from Chan May Harbour. The only way to get to Lang Co from Chan May Port is by arranged private Chan May to Hoi An excursion. You can easily combine a full trip from Hue – Da Nang – Hoi An.
From Tien Sa Port
Hai Van is about 35 kilometers from Tien Sa. Best way to experience Hai Van is to book Tien Sa port to Hue excursion.
Best time to visit Hai Van Pass
The best time to travel through Hai Van Pass is in the dry season around between April and October.
Other times of the year can be rather gloomy and can not give the full experience for you. Especially, you should not tour on this pass at weekend as many young Vietnamese travel by motorbike at this time.
Hai Van Pass weather
Hai Van Pass is a boundary between the climates of northern and southern Vietnam, sheltering the city of Da Nang from the “Chinese winds” that blow in from the northwest. During the winter months (November–March), for instance, weather on the north side (Hue imperial city) of the pass might be wet and cold, while the south side ( Danang an Hoi An) might be warm and dry. Therefore, you should consider in advance to have a perfect experience.
Are you adventurous lover? It is no wonder that Hai Van Pass is definitely worth it and could be the best holiday destination in Hue. Let’s contact with BeeBee Travel to have an interesting experience in the Central of Vietnam!